New pattern day! It's almost a holiday. I may or may not celebrate with cake. We are very happy to offer up the Timber Trail Hat pattern today, inspired by the trail behind my house:
The Timber Trail Hat is a slouchy hat with an off center simple cable. It is offered in Baby Bear (Child) size, Mama Bear (Adult medium) size and Papa Bear (Adult large) size. It is modeled by myself and my two handsome guys. Enjoy!
TIMBER TRAIL HAT
By Jennifer Lysen for Cedar House Yarns
· One skein Old Growth Worsted yarn
· Size US 7 circular needle or dpns (or size needed to make gauge)
· Size US 8 circular needle or dpns (or size needed to make gauge)
· Six stitch markers
· Tapestry needle
· Cable needle
· 18 st and 22 rounds = 4 inches, on larger needles, stockinette stitch knitted in the round
· Baby Bear (Child) – fits 18” – 19” circumference (shown in Prairie Fire)
· Mama Bear (Adult M) – fits 20” – 21” circumference (shown in Pacific Bleeding Heart)
· Papa Bear (Adult L) – fits 22” – 23” circumference (shown in Ginger)
CO cast on
Dpns double pointed needles
K2tog knit 2 together
Left Cable slip first 2 st onto cable needle, hold in front, knit next 2 st, return st from cable needle and knit
CO 84(90, 96) with smaller needles, using a long tail cast on. Place marker and join, being careful not to twist.
*K1, P1* repeat to the end of the round
Repeat until the piece measures 1”(1.5”, 2”) from CO edge.
Change to larger needles
K 28(30, 32), work cable chart (see below), K to end of the round
Repeat until the piece measures 7”(8.5”, 9”) from CO edge
Set up rnd: *K 12(13, 14), k2tog, place marker* repeat to end of the round, maintaining cable motif.
Rnd 1: *K to 2st before marker, k2tog* repeat to end of the round, maintaining cable motif.
Rnd 2: K to end of round, maintaining cable motif.
Repeat Rnd 1 & 2 until there are 6(8, 12) st in between markers
Next rnd: k2tog to the end of the round
Next rnd: K to end of round
Repeat last 2 rnds until there are 6(9, 9) stitches remaining.
Break yarn with at least an 8” tail, weave the tail through the remaining 8 stitches and weave in the end.